2022 Mālama Wao Akua Exhibition
Mālama Wao Akua is an annual juried art exhibition celebrating the native species of Maui Nui (Maui, Lana‘i, Moloka‘i, Kaho‘olawe) in collaboration between Hui No’eau and East Maui Watershed Partnership. Celebrate the opening reception on Saturday, September 10th from 3-6pm Live performances by Grammy award-winner George Kahumoku Jr., Hālau Wehiwehi O Leilehua and Kalama School’s Ukulele Band. There will also be food available from Marlow, Tight Tacos and drinks from Omena Coffee, a free art project for keiki, and educational booths featuring local conservation groups.
- Hui No’eau Visual Arts Center, Makawao
- Saturday, September 10
- 3 – 6pm
- For more information, visit huinoeau.com
Attend the 15th Anniversary of Maui’s Premier Hula Competition
Kū Mai Ka Hula features award-winning hālau competing in solo and group performances. Dancers perform both kahiko (traditional) and ‘auana (modern) hula stylings. This year, participating hālau are from throughout Hawai‘i, the continental U.S. and Japan. Attendees can browse and shop displays of made-in-Hawai‘i products from an array of crafters and artisans before and throughout the Friday and Saturday performances.
- Maui Arts & Cultural Center, Kahului
- Friday, September 9 – Saturday, September 10, 2022
- Tickets: $25 per night / $45 for both days (plus applicable fees). Discounts for members, students, and keiki.
- All ticket sales are online only: https://bit.ly/3pGWUTJ
Head to the oasis
South Maui Gardens has been cultivating an outdoor, community space with food trucks and garden seating throughout set back from the busy hubbub of South Kihei Road. It’s a great place to take keiki where they can roam and explore and on Saturday, September 10th, the newly anointed “Food Truck Oasis” is celebrating its grand opening. Performances by Da Office Ladies and Marty Dread as well as games and food from a variety of food trucks.
- South Maui Gardens, 30 Alahele Place, Kihei
- Saturday, September 10, 2022
- 5-9 pm